Skip to main content



Staircase Redo (part 1)

We're doing a big kitchen renovation (including raising the ceiling height by 12 inches!), so expect photos of that soon. In the meantime, I thought I'd share some photos of my staircase update. I didn't record my process with step-by-step photos on this one, so it's really just before and after shots, but I think you'll like them.

Before we bought the house, this was the first thing you saw when you walked in:

In just this area, we painted the wall white, ripped up the floor carpet, and painted the grate, but never got around to dealing with the stairs until now.

Ripping up that carpet and tacks wasn't too difficult, just time consuming - and although there were some sticky, ugly, plastic squares glued to the treads, those too came up fairly easily. Next came sanding up all the odd bits of glue and such, after which I got this:

As with the baseboards and doors in the other rooms, I used Minwax 'Red Oak 215' stain to match the wood elsewhere in the hous…

Latest Posts

Butler's Pantry - Renovation (part 2)

Butler's Pantry - Renovation (part 1)

Downstairs Bathroom - Finished (Mostly)

A Bathroom Update and a Bit of Tub History

Converting an Old Dresser into a Bathroom Vanity - Shelves

Converting an Old Dresser into a Bathroom Vanity

Downstairs Bathroom - Fan and Window Frame