A sense of style

Our house was built in 1906, five years after the city was founded, so I'm hoping that a visit to the historical society will yield some interior design ideas - possibly even some helpful people.  Because of the way the town was designed, with the whole city plans laid before the first house was built, perhaps they'll have lots of information on what the typical local house originally looked like.

We've been of the opinion that the house was built in the American style of 'Queen Anne' architecture (before being remodeled in 'What Was 1985 Thinking style'...) but now I'm willing to go a bit further and say it might have been influenced by the 'Eastlake style', also known as 'Cottage Style."' (If you want to read more, here's the Wikipedia entry I ran across.)

After taking some pics of the newly-painted grate, I took a few more photos of architectural bits in various rooms.  You can see them below, along with a picture of an Eastlake-style hinge (which, sadly, is not in our house). 
an Eastlake hinge (nice!)

(the doorknobs in our upstairs rooms)
(the lower part of the back door)
(the front door off the porch)

(stair post; typical angles found inside)

(another example of those angles)
Of course, my ulterior motive for posting these photos here is so Liz can open this page on her iPhone and we can view them from salvage and antique stores...

Comments

  1. Have you looked into Prairie School? My mom's old house, built in 1907 is prairie school, as is most of that neighborhood. It had a similar feel to the pics I've seen of your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I hadn't heard of that style yet - thanks! It DOES seem to have that feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house is amazing, Mark. I live in a 1904 myself and find myself liking the old ones more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place really looks amazing and the history of that style is really interesting. I love that woodwork. It reminds me of some of the Arts & Crafts movement architecture I've studied over the years. I hope my first house will be a nice old one with some interesting built-ins and that nice "homey" feeling of pre-WWII Americana.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts