Slowly but surely...

My apologies for the lack of posting here lately! What with the job hunt and all, I've been pre-occupied with other things.

However, I have been slowly working on tiling more of the bathroom, which I'll be talking about in more detail once that's complete. For now, here's a couple of pictures from my foray into electrical work - replacing a couple of overhead lights.

Butler's pantry light (shown with cover removed for testing)
The light in the butler's pantry hadn't worked since we moved in, which wasn't really a problem during the summer - or during the day, thanks to the window inside it. With night falling earlier now, though, I found myself groping blindly for cookbooks in the dim light from the kitchen.  Thus, that light got replaced with another similar one. Nothing fancy for now, just a simple $10 (or so) light.

The dining room was trickier. Originally, the house came with an old and (we think) ugly candelabra-style light with a horned design and horrible fake plastic candles that were probably inserted later.  You can see a glimpse of it in the photo below (taken before we moved in).

Old dining room photo pre-move in, with light #1

Liz's grandmother was kind enough to give us one of her Tiffany-style lamps to replace it, but that one was intended to hang very low over a table, with its bulbs pointing downwards and uncovered - and hanging it higher gave it an almost painful radiance. Liz found one on Overstock.com that worked well, though, and also has a Tiffany-style design.

Dining Room light #3
Admittedly, I was a bit trepidatious about doing the work, but I'd seen a handyman install the grandmother's light, so I wasn't entirely flying blind. I think they both turned out well, anyway. Even better news - Liz found an antique store that may be interested in buying the old light fixture (#1).

On a side note, I've realized that we've also done lots of work in other rooms that happened before I started this blog. I may just go back and post some of those while the bathroom tile's in progress, so look for those in the near future.

Comments

  1. He's not mentioning that we dubbed the original light fixture "The Antlers"... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts